Version 2 Now Available!
Featuring increased strength in the wing segments and increased rigidity in the fuselage. The folding wheel door mechanism was sacrificed for these improvements, but was a necessary trade off to ensure successful and long-term playability without frustration.
The Vought F4U Corsair is an American fighter aircraft that saw service primarily in World War II and the Korean War. Designed and initially manufactured by Chance Vought, the Corsair was soon in great demand; additional production contracts were given to Goodyear, whose Corsairs were designated FG, and Brewster, designated F3A.
The Corsair was designed and operated as a carrier-based aircraft, and entered service in large numbers with the U.S. Navy in late 1944 and early 1945.
The aircraft is, in this designer’s opinion, the most visually striking and thus recognizable planes, and was a fantastic challenge to model in LEGO.
Overall Design Features
Drawing inspiration from all corners of the LEGO world, I humbly present my rendition of the Vought F4U-4 Corsair. Featuring:
• accurate styling and proportions to that of the F4U-4 variation (there are so many!)
• folding front and rear landing gear that fold flush into the body
• wing-tip and tail lights
• fully-modeled engine with removable cowling
• internal cockpit with flight controls
• folding wings for hanger storage
• fully-integrated wing intake vents and machine guns
• adjustable rear vertical and horizontal stabilizers on the empennage (rear tail assembly)
• rotating front rotor
• nearly-studless design
• built to LEGO design standards using standard connections and parts placement to ensure a strong model perfect for display
• utilizes only currently-available color pieces (although I’d love much more dark blue options!)
Focus was given to accuracy, strength and playability, and with quick-to-market and available colors. The product includes a full-color encrypted PDF of the digital model and importable XML parts list (in txt format). No bricks are included, but can be acquired from LEGO directly or other sources such as bricklink.com or similar. Decals are for display purposes only; no stickers are included.